As well as ensuring your content strategy is integrated into your overall business strategy, there are some other considerations.
9 key things to consider when developing a content strategy
- Exclusions: Any particular subjects to steer clear of? Are there particular guidelines you need to adhere to? For example, FSA regulated. Or any companies you don’t want to mention.
- Keywords: It is good to know what your clients are searching for. There are a number of tools you can use: Google wonderwheel, Google Insights and Google Trends.
- Analytics/KPIs: You’d be amazed how few companies measure their analytics or set out clear KPIs before they start an online project. But if you don't know what success looks like, how will know when you get there?
- Tone/Style: Do you have a house style? Do you need to create one?
- Social Media: Where is your audience engaging? You must include social media within your content strategy. It is important to understand where your audience are and why you’re engaging with them.
- IT: What are the technical limitations, what can you do and can’t you do with your CMS?
I also gave some recommended reading around content strategy, I'll turn that into another blog post when I have slightly more time.